Thursday 22 July 2010

Another Glorious Scorcher."It's bloody boiling!"

Woke up marinating in my own brine as the fan had broken sometime during the night. I mean please don't get me wrong,I love the dawning of each new day..challenges to be met...all those possibilities abound.I am totally into the concept of seizing the morning by it's balls.It's just that on seriously hot days like this my motivation melts along with my make up as I  apply it.I read in a recent article that some folk return home to feverishly stock up on beloved items such as olive oil and mountain boots.I'd give my eye teeth for an effective deodorant-as I sit here ardently digging out the last remnants from the bottom of the men's 'Speed Stick' and rubbing the teaspoon with it's precious cargo across either armpits.My son,who has come to know a little of my personality the last six years,watches on nonchalantly before taking a deep breath and asking."Mummy?Why is there a golden sticker on my apple slice?"With a huge jarring motion,number one brain cog starts it's first 360 degree revolution of the day."Well!You did all your chores very well this morning.It means 'Good job'." I smoothly reply.He looks down,eyebrows creased as he studies."Doesn't 'good' start with a 'g' as in 'girl'?"he chirps back,"This is 'd...e....l' space then a 'm....o....n....t..."I smile my best motherly smile,"Oh,that's 'Good job' in another language.French,I think"and pour another cup of tea for everyone from our newly acquired family teapot."I've got one too!"teases daughter from across the table."The same letters!"

 The pram was loaded up with swimming gear,enough spare changes of clothes for every imaginable scenario known to motherhood,like missiles we were ready to unleash ourselves upon the poor sods who also inhabit this great city when the oh so mummily mundane thing happened..we'd forgotten something.

Or rather someone. Our summer guest.The primary school's crayfish.A rather spooky looking thing thrust upon me without warning and under duress.I like furry things.Little things that squeak and have beady little eyes that look lovingly at you when they want grub. I don't know what alerted me to 'his' plight.The circling buzzards or the cat sat salivating next to the cooker,a pan of oil sizzling,bowl of breadcrumbs,plate of mayo and lettuce nearby.Charlie the Killer Crayfish's cell was most decidedly grubby.Knowing absolutely nothing about how to look after this creature,I am paranoid at the thought of returning home to find it deceased.Up in the great crayfish heaven in the sky.Plus my son,Bat Boy would be devastated......even if he did enjoy Charlie served up later as tempura.By the time we'd 'reformed' Charlie's home much to the chagrin of the feline in the family,time,the morning and the temperature were marching on.

Whizzing down the street,determined to meet up with friends in Kichijoji,I waltz into a convenience store to stock up on water."Bloody boiling today,isn't it?"shouts out the cashier gaily.I do a double take,mouth hanging open in surprise,firstly at the greeting perfect British English and then the lovely young lady's Asian face that smiles at me."You are British,right?"she asks,"I lived in England for ten years.I recognise your accent!"Still in shock,I turn to look at her work colleague who shrugs his shoulders and utters "Eigo wakaranai!"(I don't understand English)"I am sorry,"I stutter,"I was just really surprised to hear you! I haven't heard the words 'Bloody boiling' for such a long time!" She laughs and extends her hand."My name is Kaori.Nice to meet you!"After wiping my sweaty palm surreptitiously down my top,we exchange introductions. "It's really nice to meet someone from England,"Kaori gushes,"All the foreigners seem to be mostly American or Australian." I laugh as the shop doors open and my Japanese friend walks in."Oh Sammysan! I thought it was you!"to my children,"Hello!How are you all today?"I introduce my friend to Kaori and we banter a while."Yuka lived in England for a while too,didn't you Yukasan?.......Her husband is French and they have children.We're going on a play date to Kichijoji today...."To which my son leaps forward and shouts"Del Monte!Del Monte!" at the top of his voice much to every one's surprise."Auntie Yuka?Do you know what 'Del Monte' means in French?"

No comments: